Thursday, August 23, 2007


The Next Best Day to Christmas

One of my favorite commercials of all time is the STAPLES ad where the dad is cruising down the aisles dancing to the tune of "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year." Yes, Virginia, it's back to school time--and I'm dancing. My husband I refrained from cracking open the champagne yesterday, but boy were we tempted.

It's amazing how the presence of two kids can throw a schedule (and a deadline!) into complete disarray. I feel like for the entire summer I've been fighting to keep my head above water and now I can finally breathe.

When did summer "vacation" get so exhausting? It's not like I was home entertaining them all day. For the most part I had them enrolled in summer programs, but it seemed like every week it was something new--and that usually required driving them all over the place. It probably didn't help that we took two big vacations and I spent a week in Dallas at conference. No wonder I'm tired.

So now I get to look forward to at least a couple months of quiet mornings and uninterrupted work time--until Christmas rolls around. Pure bliss. I guess this probably makes me ineligible for the "Mommy of the Year" award?