Thursday, December 06, 2007



Holiday? What Holiday?

Someone stole Christmas for me a few years ago and I didn't even realize it. This used to be my favorite time of the year, now all I feel is pressure. I dread the holidays. When did it happen? How did it happen?

I have no idea.

It's not just putting up the Christmas tree and decorations, the parties and family get togethers, the big dinner, the 200 plus Christmas cards, the shopping, or the kids being HOME for two weeks while I'm trying to work--it's all of the above. I literally have not bought one gift. Yet each year--despite my efforts to trim--the list of gifts I have to buy gets longer. A preverse part of me wonders what would happen if I didn't buy any gifts at all?

You don't know how tempted I am to find out.

Every year I go through all this effort to be "thoughtful" to find "that perfect gift." It never happens. BTW, guess who does ALL the shopping in the family? Surprise, surprise: me. This year I've already warned my husband that is going to change.

The funny thing is that I always thought having kids would make Christmas more fun--and to some extent that is certainly true--but it also increases the pressure to "make those special memories." I wonder though if it's just my expectations--perhaps a little too much Martha Stewart--and that the kids would be just as happy without all the hoopla.

So what are you doing this year for the holidays? Have you started your shopping? Who does the shopping in your house?