Sunday, May 31, 2009



Slump Buster

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I've been in a bit of a reading slump lately.  Every now and then I realize I'm not enjoying books that I know I should be.  Not sure why it happens.  Reading fatigue?  Working too hard?  Sameness?  Probably a combination, but it is really frustrating.  

So to use a baseball saying, I now have a "slump buster":  Susan Elizabeth Phillips.  Excuse me while I gush and have a fangirl moment, but is there anyone more talented in romance today?  The woman is absolutely brilliant at characterization and writes some of the best dialogue around (Julia Quinn is my other favorite for dialogue).  I decided to re-read HEAVEN, TEXAS last night and I loved it just as much the second time around.  I pretty much read it in one sitting, staying up until 2 am to finish.  It's amazing how she can take what should be an unlikeable character and make him appealing.  Bobby Tom Denton is arrogant, selfish, vain, and utterly yummy.   On tonight's reading menu:  NOBODY'S BABY BUT MINE (another re-read).

The funny thing is that I'm more of a historical reader, but SEP has definitely broadened my spectrum to contemporaries.  (Another really fun contemporary author is Christy Ridgeway--highly recommend).   Julie Garwood is another good Slump Buster for me.  

So do you have any authors that you know you can always go to for a good read?