Thursday, July 30, 2009

Monica's Scary Movie
(or: You Will Never Wear Flip-flops to a Movie Again!)

How's this for a horror story. Last night hubby took me to see the new Harry Potter at one of those classic old theaters in our neighborhood (one I've been going to for most of my life). It's become a little run-down over the years, but it's got all the gilding, red velvet seats, organist at some shows, etc.

Anyway, about ten minutes from the end of the movie, I hear something shuffling. I look down and see--I kid you not--a huge rat. It was about 6-8 inches long (not counting the tail). To say I was freaked out was an understatement. I think my poor hubby thought he was going to have to carry me out of there. Serious "damsel-in-distress" moment. This is one of those reasons why I married a big strong guy!

The worst part was that when I told the manager, he (and the other two employees standing there) had absolutely blank expressions on their faces (i.e. no shock). He was very blase and said he was "sorry." I got the feeling that (a) he wasn't surprised and (b) he wasn't that concerned. After I went on for a while, he finally said he was going to call the exterminator "right now" (at 8:30 pm?). Needless to say, I won't be going back.

I'm still freaking out. A dark theater, bare ankles, scary movie and a rodent DO NOT MIX.

Anything icky like this ever happen to you? What's the scariest movie you've ever seen?