Sunday, August 23, 2009

It's That Time of Year Again!



This has to be my all-time favorite commercial. I think I will have to make it a traditional post, LOL. I've seen it a hundred times and it STILL cracks me up.

My kids go back to school on Wednesday, although we actually have a "walk-through" at the middle school tomorrow. I can't believe summer is almost over. We didn't do much this year. Other than my trip to Washington DC, we took a short family vacation to Lake Tahoe last week. Tahoe is about three hours away and is definitely my "comfort" retreat. I've been going there most of my life and there is just something so relaxing about the place--winter for skiing and summer for the beach. Can't beat that.

Yesterday we finally got around to taking the kids to Alcatraz. (My husband and I made a run for the dock, but unfortunately the kids caught up with us :)). I've been many times--mostly when I was a kid--but it's one of those things that everyone who visits here does, but locals often never get around to. It's funny how you can live in a major tourist area and never take advantage of the wonderful things in your own backyard. I've got a list a mile long that I've never gotten around to showing the kids: Golden Gate Park, SF Zoo, Fort Point, Haight-Ashbury, Giant Redwoods, Gold Country, Monterey Bay Aquarium . . . I could go on. Yet, they've seen the Tower of London. Ironic, isn't it? LOL.

What about you...do you have a "comfort" vacation spot? Any tourist attractions in your own backyard you haven't visited?